The other night, we had the privilege of stepping into a world that was completely out of our comfort zone. As I had written previously, I had a vision to collect blankets for the homeless...something I've wanted to do for quite some time. Last week Sat evening, after a wonderful dinner out (thanks Likkels) we hit the streets/back alleys/deep,dark woods/under bridges/in motor homes/in cars of bellingam with a group called 'salt on the streets'. They originated out of cornwall church. The couple from there has been doing this EVERY saturday night for the past 6 years. now THAT is being called. so, we, along with Ryan and Traci, my sister shari and husband, and 5 others spent about 5 hours out there. Friends, i have never in my life seen such sadness. in my mind, homeless people somehow deserved to be where they are, right? well, last night, God opened my eyes to a whole world outside of my 'perfect little life'. many of these folks have no other choice. yes, some choose this life, and yes, maybe some even 'deserve' it but there were people out there who really where just down on their 'luck'. who am i to judge the reason they are there?? God simply calls us to take care of them. i have never seen a more thankful group of people! One of them commented, "You are my Christmas wish come true!"...if that didn't bring a tear to my eye!!! ALL of them, had pure gratitude for someone thinking of them on a cold night. 27 degrees to be exact. what an honor it was for me to have been able to serve them....it was a life-changing experience. i pray that i never turn my back again on these folks. they need us and we NEED to be SALT OF THE EARTH. everyone of them knew that we came in the name of Jesus and i pray that HIS name was honored. That night, as i crawled into my warm bed, and tried desperately to warm up under my blankets, my heart broke for those who don't have that luxury. it is my prayer, that not only in this Christmas season but throughout the WHOLE year, that you and i, make it our mission, to do something of significance in the life of someone who may otherwise not know HIM. That friends, is what really matters.
Thanks for joining us Likkels and De Booms...I'm already looking forward to when we can do it again!!
Friday, January 01, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
What a great witness. It is hard for me to think of people really being homeless living out here but this summer while in Dallas doing a show downtown near the tracks and underpasses we saw a lot. It was a real eye opener. So amazing what little time and money and effort is needed to real help another out. Love you guys.
I copied this and shared it on my blog. Hope you do not mind. I thought it needed sharing.
Of course I don't mind Evonne...I too think it's an important message to pass along.
Can you email me your blog info? For some reason I can no longer access it. Strange!!
Kathy, try it again, I have changed some settings. If it doesn't work let me know.
well said! :)
thank you for experiencing this with us!
You inspire me Kath! Thanks for sharing this story.
Post a Comment