We have been part of this amazing parenting Sunday School class and I often walk away with tid bits to think about throughout the week and beyond. Those that lead the class are so down to earth and transparent - which is what makes it so real to us. Today we talked about Spiritual Parenting...and the different ways we can influence and impact the lives of our children.
So many of us struggle with the same issues...discipline, 1st time listening, teaching responsibilities, work ethic, respecting others etc...We were given a few tidbits this morning that we will be implementing within our family.
Instead of referring to jobs around the house as CHORES - rather call it ACTS OF SERVICE: When we are part of a family we work together to keep things running smoothly. This teaches our children how to implement this into their own lives as well once they grow up. Then when they've completed their task, rather than saying "can I be done now"...teach them to say - "Is there anything else you need done?" This demonstrates a serving heart....rather than a selfish one.
We as parents need to seek out the opportunity to serve and in doing so - involve our children. Even if it's a simple as picking up the neighbors recycling after the huge wind storm. I encouraged my kids to take out a garbage bag and see how many pieces we could collect. Or if I am in the kitchen making a meal for someone that could use it, is a great teaching opportunity for my kids - letting them see how we can serve others by providing them with a meal or baked goods. Whatever it is...let us be the example to our children so they too will want to reach out and serve others.
THIS seems simple...but it's something we have to consciously think about in order to teach and train our children. We were left with this analogy...What do you think of when you think about "marinade"? Marinade = flavor. We marinade chicken overnight so that when we cook it all the flavors come through and make it taste the best it can. Our children are "marinading"....we are marinading them with all that we are teaching and demonstrating to them in order to enhance their lives and various other aspects of who they will become.
Now THAT sounds deep...but it has made me think...and my children are now being asked to do "acts of service" rather than chores...and believe it or not - they asked tonight after I asked them to pick up the toys before bed..."is there anything else you need me to do?" Wow...if it were only that easy ALL the time!
Thanks for listening. I hope you learned a tid bit or two as well.
Sunday, March 13, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I love the marinading analogy. That is a great way to think of it. Thanks for the tips!
Sounds like a great parenting study. What is the name of it? I love the idea of acts of service. I'm going to try it! Thanks.
Angela -
It's just a class being offered through church with various topics, led by 5 differnt couples from church that have dealt with all the same parenting woes as the rest of us. It's been very refreshing!!!
I LOVED class this past Sunday! I took a LOT of little tid bits from it and am thinking about them often! SUCH a great class
Post a Comment