Thursday, March 18, 2010

Why Bother?

This post came to me during the night....while I should have been sleeping but my 2 1/2 year old son insisted on keeping me awake at 3:00am....WHY? I wish I knew...
At least it gave me time to sort out my life....sort of.

Why bother sleeping - when your youngest child refuses to let you
Why bother cleaning the house - when it just continually gets dirty
Why bother mowing the lawn - when it just grows again
Why bother eating - when you just end up hungry again in a few hours
Why bother shaving your legs - when the hair grows back that much faster
Why bother washing your car on a sunny day - it's likely to rain again tomorrow
Why bother washing the dirty clothes - when the kids come home with grass-stains right away
Why bother slaving over the oven for a lavish meal - when it's devoured in a matter of minutes
Why bother washing windows - when they wind up streaked after the first rain
Why bother leaving messages for people - when they don't bother calling you back (this only applies to certain people...and NONE of my friends)
Why bother blogging - when most people that "stalk you" don't leave comments :)
Why bother buying stamps - when you can pay bills online and send emails to your friends
Why bother crying about things - when someone, somewhere has things worse than you


There are many more things I'm sure, however after awhile, my mind got tired of thinking of things to be bothered about because truth be told, I was BOTHERED by the fact that I WASN'T sleeping and wanted to be.

Anyway....this just reminded me of all the things I have to be thankful for....
Young children that NEED me to comfort them, hold them and LOVE them...even if it is in the middle of the night.
That I do have a warm and comfortable house to live in,
For my yard that my children can run and play in,
That we have enough food to eat and we never have to put our kids to bed hungry (unless they are being disciplined for refusing to eat what has been cooked for them)
That I have strong and healthy legs that need to be shaved (mostly for my husbands sake of course)
That I have a vehicle that gets me from A to B
That my children have clothes to wear and get dirty as opposed to some children with either nothing or only one outfit.
That we have the ability to cook a variety of healthy meals, and celebrate different holidays and special occasions with the ones we love.
That my husband is able, capable AND willing to wash my windows so that I don't have to, and to earn some extra money on the side.
Thankful for all my friends that DO call me back when I've left them messages...after all...they are truly the ones I care about anyway.
That there are people out there that care enough to "stalk" me (friends of course on my blog I mean)
That we have the ability to communicate so much quicker these days than in years past thanks to the Internet...it brings the world that much closer!
That there are people in my life that understand that even if I cry....they listen, they care and they comfort....even if there are so many bigger problems around.

This verse came to my mind....."for what does the Lord require of us? To do Justice, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with our God" Micah 6:8
A verse I learned years ago and has stuck with me all these years....a lesson I want to put into practice daily - walking humbly with God by my side!

8 comments:

our sweet life said...

amen, sister!!

tammy said...

Wow...you should lose sleep more often. Such words of wisdom. Love you dear friend!!

one blessed mama said...

oh dear friend....i LOVED this post! you nailed it! hang in there babe, this too shall pass! you're such a great mom! i love how you put this all in perspective. bless you. i love you much.

Unknown said...

Thanks for being so authentic. Sometimes it feels good to just say what you are thinking!

Ashley said...

I was wondering if you were feeling a little down when I started reading this post, but then I read on. Nicely said...sometimes we forget to be thankful when we're going through the routine. Great reminder for all of us!

deWoldeDaily said...

As one of your "blog stalkers" I loved reading this post!! I might have to bookmark this one and read on certain days when I need to be reminded of these things! Thanks to your little person for not sleeping so you could write this - but I really hope he sleeps for you tonight!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Vintage Dutch Girl said...

Kathy - LOVED this post. I too memorized Micah 6:8 years ago. I love the idea of putting it into practice on a daily basis while we go about our routine of normal day in-day out stuff.